03/01/2010

So souk me

Am I the last person to have adopted a recession mentality? I did something yesterday that I have never done before, and I think it is all because I have spent the best part of the year reading money-saving ideas in the Daily Telegraph's Saturday "Weekend" and "Your Ackers" sections. In fact, in ALL their sections. And all the other papers to. The recession have proved a Godsend to previously out-of-work scrimpage scribes who couldn't even sell a featurette to the Harrow Observer during the conspicuous consumption days that preceded Lehman Bros et al. But I digress.

I, as I said, have never done it before. The Baby Girl, my nest-flown youngest, has always been adept at it. Entering a "book" (did you see what I did there? "book" is predictive text spelling for "cool", hence the way forward for Standard English) boutique (ah, I show my age) she will find a dress that she really likes and then explain to the Beleagured Shop Manageress that as it is the last one on the rail, the BSM is going to be plagued by customers saying "Have you got this in red? Have you got it in a 14? Have you got it in this size and colour but with spots on?" and when the BSMA has to admit they don't, the plague of customers will leave, disgruntled and vowing never to return. Far better, TBG explains, to sell it to me for 25% of the ticket price, and save disappointing so many people. The BSM, grateful for having her turnover preserved, readily agress and, indeed, reduces the price even further in the hope that TBG will call again and save her from eventual financial ruin.

Me, I can't do that.

Strike that last and make it "Couldn't".

Went into a large-office-stationers-who-don't-only-sell-staples-despite-what-you-might-think and stared lovingly at a laptop for about ten minutes. My laptop is five years old, has 250mb of RAM a 25gb hard-drive of which 8gb is empty, crashes more frequently than a car insurance scammer, and takes so long to boot up that if I want to know how Brentford got on in an evening kick-off, it is quicker to get out the car and drive to the Royal Oak on the corner of the ground and find a gruntled or disgruntled supporter and ask them what the score was.

So I've been thinking about a new laptop for a while. And I looked and looked at the one in the shop that had the spec I wanted until one of the assistants came up to me and asked if he could help.

"Not really," I replied, "I was only thinking that if this laptop was £300 I'd be really tempted." He smiled, and said nothing. I smiled, and said nothing, but harder. Eventually he cracked. "I can't get it down to three hundred," he said, "but what about three-ten?"

So here I am, writing my last blog on my old laptop and about to set up my new one.

Am I cheap, or just hopping on the Souk Market bandwagon? I don't know, but I do feel quietly proud of myself. I'm sure TBG will give me a pat on the back too.

4 comments:

Leigh Russell said...

Yay! I'm in! I tried to leave a comment on your 2010 blog but couldn't. Bloggishly inept, that's me. And now I've forgotten what I was going to say. Oh yes, Elmore Leonard. Any writer who warrants re-reading has got to be good value.
Well done on the new laptop! I think more and more people are learning to bargain. I'll pass your daughter's brilliant tactics on to my own recently-fled-the-nest-into-penury daughter.
Thank you very much for your comments on my new book cover. I've replied on my blog.

Fran Hill said...

You devil, you! Well done. And I love your accompanying picture. Now, could you just pop back to the shops and find me a new laptop for £200? Thanks.

JD said...

What Fran said especially about the pic. Well done. I'm proud of you... ! hope you're well. I'm just about back to logging into my blog after 10 months of ignoring it ..

Anna May said...

That's called shopping till they drop isn't it ?
Congrats!
Anna May x

Pinches of salt not provided...

This blog contains mild violence and fantasy spider references, and may allude to imaginary events as if they were actually real. Are you tuning in to me, brothers and sisters?